(click on title for link; please email if you have trouble accessing an article)
• Book. 2019. Lewis, Courtney. Sovereign Entrepreneurs: Cherokee Small Business Owners and the Making of Economic Sovereignty. Critical Indigeneities Series. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
• Winner: Southern Anthropological Society Mooney Award 2019
• Finalist Western North Carolina Historical Association Thomas Wolfe Memorial Literary Award 2020
• Choice rating “Essential” and Outstanding Academic Title Award
See Sovereign Entrepreneurs page for more information
• Journal Publication. Lewis, Courtney. Confronting Cannabis: Legalization on Native Nation Lands and the Impacts of Differential Federal Enforcement. American Indian Quarterly 43(4).
• Journal Publication. Lewis, Courtney. 2018. Economic Sovereignty in Volatile Times: Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians’ Strategies Supporting Economic Stability. Research in Economic Anthropology 38.
• Journal Publication. 2018. Frybread Wars: Biopolitics and the Consequences of Selective United States Health Care Practices for American Indians. Food, Culture, and Society 21(4).
Winner: Association for the Study of Food and Society award for best article published in Food, Culture & Society (2018)
• Journal Publication. 2018. Commentary. Banning Change: The South Carolina Heritage Act. Museum Anthropology 41(2).
• Journal Publication. 2017. Betting on Western North Carolina: Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort’s Regional Impacts. Journal of Appalachian Studies 23(1):29-52
• Journal Publication. 2012. The Case of the Wild Onions: The Impact of Ramps on Cherokee Rights. Southern Cultures 18(2):104-17.